Wednesday 4 September 2019

Perfect Pies



A sweet lass has woken up quite early
To start the day with meals that make her smile
She picks up spoons and bowls from a trolley
It’s time to cook a perfect morning pie

She loads a tray with dough and good filling
The pie is bursting like a girl’s heart
She hears how her own belly starts rumbling
She can’t resist a perfect berry tart

Now she sits with the pie on her doorstep
Wants to tuck in and enjoy her pie
Then she hears a restless rustle in the fence
The neighbour lad looks at her with hungry eyes:

“You can't hide your perfect pies!”
“Could you hand me one enormous slice?”
“I thought by now you'd realize”
“There’s no way to hide your perfect pies”

Another day, another pie is baking
She peers out, with anxious eyes
She locks the door, feeling her hands shaking
She can’t let that lad take her perfect pies

She takes the pie and sits down by the fire
When she hears a loud, shrieking scream
It is the lad, falling down the chimney
Black as night, but his face brightly beams

“You can't hide your perfect pies”
“Could you hand me one enormous slice?”
“I thought by now you'd realize”
“There’s no way to hide your perfect pies”

She loads a cart with boxes that smell lovely
Wheels it down the winding forest road
She finds a place where she can dine safely
The neighbour cannot reach her anymore

Yet again, when she unloads her carriage
Someone comes trampling through the woods
There he comes, that round boy from her village
Leaping over rocks and toadstools

The lass looks at him and cannot help but smile
“Oh dear boy, you surely love my pies!”
“For them you always go the extra mile”
“You surely have opened up my own eyes”

“I won’t hide my perfect pies”
“Instead, I’ll be your wife”
“Only now I realize”
“There’s no need to hide my perfect pies”
“There’s no need to hide my perfect pies”
“There’s no need to hide my perfect pies”


About the song

Here's another song about pies and love! They often go together in the Shire. This one is best sung to an Eagles tune, Lyin' Eyes.


Eagles – Lyin' Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment